VIDEO: “He never mentioned my name. He talks about everybody else [but] me” David Benavidez feels that Canelo Alvarez is avoiding him

Former WBC Super Middleweight Champion David Benavidez, Monday night, said on Instagram live that Canelo Alvarez would “probably vacate” his Super Middleweight Title instead of taking a fight with Benavidez

To be honest, if I win the mandatory – like I am – I feel like Canelo isn’t going to give me the opportunity,” Benavidez said, “He’s probably going to vacate the title or do something like that.”

The 24-year-old added that Alvarez (55-1 37KO) has mentioned other Super Middleweight contenders (Billy Joe Sanders, Caleb Plant, etc.) but hasn’t publically mentioned a potential fight with Benavidez

Benavidez (23-0 20KO) was stripped of his WBC Super Middleweight Title in August when he missed weight leading up to his victory over Roamer Alexis Angulo but remains one of the scariest fighters in the division – and sport

He explained that he feels that he is Alvarez’s biggest challenge, in the Super Middleweight division, with his excellent combinations, large frame, and overwhelming power

During his full Instagram live interview with Primer Boxing Championships, Benavidez also mentioned that he would like to face Jermall Charlo after his upcoming bout with Ronald Ellis (18-1 12KO)


“He said he would knock me out,” Benavidez said. “He better be able to back it up.”

Benavidez has previously offered to welcome Charlo (31-0 22KO) to the Super Middleweight division and seems set on making the bout happen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *